Monday, March 3, 2014

Diversity

This is going to be a bit personal post but nonetheless i think it's an important issue that i need to share and discuss.

So a lot of people have been asking me, how can somebody from Akademi Pengajian Islam would've want to mix and mingle with the people who is completely diverged with her.No I had no intend of complimenting my own self. Nauzubillah. It's just something that I'd love to share my opinion and experience.

The idea of diversity and differences highly influenced by the physical appearance. Extreme tendency to group people based on physical appearance led to this situation called 'racism'. 

The only answer that I could give when people asked me such question is that, -- we are human beings. Be it a person from religious background or not, in the end we are all human being, no one could deny.

Honestly at first I was scared, and awkward also. It feels so strange and afraid. Afraid of being discriminated, isolated, afraid of being judged for who I am. I started to question my presence here, should I, or should I not?

But I'm not the type of person who would back off without giving a shot. Instead of viewing this as a problem, I saw this as an opportunity for me. I had this passion of knowing and understand how people think. And mixing with various group of people allow me to fulfill such desire.

I learnt that no matter how diversed we are, we still have a lot of things in common. Why create barriers between us, just because we dress,think and act differently? 

I learnt that barriers are built mostly by stigma and perceptions. If we didnt allow ourselves to explore and understand, we'll live the whole life with such idea in our head.

I just wanna thank everyone for this opportunity, and for accepting me despite those differences and for being a family to me.

THANK YOU :)

No comments:

Post a Comment